From: Hanno Meyer-Thurow <h.mth@×××.de>
To: Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] work on gcj for gentoo
Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 18:13:24
On Tue, 21 Feb 2006 16:42:51 +0100
Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o> wrote:

> Excellent! We need all the help we can get.
Whatever I can do.
> > ... Then use gcj to create native > > executables or libraries out of that jar files. Creating a database > > via gcj-dbtool for jar / native code resolution. If possible Java to > > native. > > The problem with this approach is your resulting programs will be > potentially rather slow.
I got an example from OOo for jar to native compilation. It may not be lightening-fast but ... ... there it still speeds up the process. What is done there: * jars -> native libraries * .java -> native binaray What used to do a JVM with jars now does a native binary with jars compiled to native libs. Time went down from 3h40 to 2h45. I hit a oom-killer feature of gij - run as JVM - there on my 512MB ram testbox. If you compile that Java source to native that oom-kill vanishes. Still, just an example.
> While gcj can indeed compile .class files (inside .jars) to binary, I've > been told it can produce the most efficient of results. The source code > is much richer in structure than the bytecode, and opens up for many > effective optimizations which could only be reached through > "idiom-recognition" (which doesn't exist for gcj yet, afaik) of the > .class files.
In a perfect world ... ;)
> I suspect that you shouldn't give up on using gcj as a source compiler > quite yet. This story may evolve with the whole ecj/gcjx/GPLv3 debate.
I use gcj successfully on my testbox. As far as it is possible. And with ecj as bytecompiler all my ugly hacks will be a part of the past. Only trouble I have actually is eclipse-sdk. Another oom-killer at runtime. May be I find the time to get it to native code somehow. Regards, Hanno -- gentoo-java@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-java] work on gcj for gentoo Karl Trygve Kalleberg <karltk@g.o>