From: robert burrell donkin <robertburrelldonkin@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Java ideas for Summer of Code
Date: Sat, 06 May 2006 10:48:48
1 On 5/5/06, Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > robert burrell donkin wrote:
4 > > On 5/4/06, *Joshua Nichols* <nichoj@g.o
7 <snip>
8
9 > why the emphasis on software libre?
10 > >
11 > And I think you're reading too much into what I said. By libre, I really
12 > mean open source.
15 good :-)
16
17 > why exclude ASL'd libraries from the effort?
18 > ASL? Do you mean the Apache license?
21 yep
22
23 In either case, I don't recall
24 > saying anything about excluding anything.
27 ASL2 is still incompatible with GPL2
28
29 free java means rebuilding the complete stack including replacements for all
30 ASL'd applications and libraries. so there's a little bit of politics in the
31 mix.
32
33 > why not open source java?
34 > >
35 > Uh, open source java is EXACTLY what I'm talking about :)
38 good :-)
39
40 gump (http://gump.apache.org/) builds and tests 700 projects from source
41 each day. IIRC the classpath team run gump. might be able to dig out an url
42 if you're interested in seeing the current level of progress.
43
44 in general, finding a way to generate EBUILDs from gump descriptors would
45 make available a lot of libraries and applications without extensive effort.
46 a maven EBUILD plugin would be even better.
47
48 apache has a lot of API implementations but they are scattered amongst
49 different projects. it would probably be generally a good thing if they were
50 more easily accessible. fixing that would also be a big gain for a small
51 amount of effort.
52
53 In the future, be sure to reply on-list.
56 yeh sorry (mumbles something about gmail)
57
58 - robert