From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: Stuart Howard <stuart.g.howard@×××××.com>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Startup advice
Date: Wed, 25 Jan 2006 05:18:29
Stuart Howard wrote:
> Hi > > I am a Gentoo user with an urge to try my hand at coding, java seems > to fit the bill as a language that has cross platform appeal and so > on, you guys know the rest. > > My question is this, I want to spend my time learning the language not > the various apps that allow me to do this so what would your > recommendation be for a new starter such as myself. > I seem to have a choice of using either blackdown or the sun packages, > I have read sufficient to realise that the blackdown project was the > original linux port of Sun's Java but Today what would you suggest as > the platform to pick ie. is the Blackdown package well supported under > Gentoo? will updates come promptly when considered stable? or the the > Sun package better supported? and for that matter as a new user would > I be better of with one or the other for a reason I have not yet come > too? >
Blackdown is as well supported as Sun on Gentoo, as far as JDK/JREs go. The common belief is that Sun is faster than Blackdown, but I've never seen any hard numbers. Aside from that, they should be functionally the same.
> Next up would be an IDE, is Kdevelop good for java or is netbeans a > good choice? again your experiance would be helpful at this stage, the > netbeans site seems to imply that they provide functinality not > available elsewhere will this mean that my code [once I get there ;) ] > be specific to netbeans? or should I go for a fundamentalist approach > and stick to "simple" approach and trusty vim? >
I've heard good things aboug BlueJ [1] for an IDE for a beginner. The idea is that you use that while learning the language, and then eventually ween yourself off of it onto a more full-fledged IDE, like netbeans or eclipse. Unfortunately, we don't have a package for it yet. I personally live and die by Eclipse. It has a lot of functionality built-in, in addition to the multitude of quality third-party plugins.
> Any Gentoo/general points will happily received >
You may want to use ~arch keywords for your Java packages.There hasn't been a lot of stablization going on recently, but this is something we are currently working on.
- Josh -- gentoo-java@g.o mailing list