From: Chris Woods <chris@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Startup advice
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:12:49
1 Stuart Howard wrote:
2 > As you might expect I am running on information overload here ;)
3
4 [...]
5
6 > Anyway my supplemental request is book choice and a mailing list to
7 > watch for entry/mid level discussions?
8
9 Absolutely the best material you can get both for learning and for
10 reference is from Sun, hands-down. http://java.sun.com/tutorial - you
11 can also purchase a dead tree version if you're more comfortable with a
12 book in your hands. I know a lot of people are.
13
14 I haven't followed most of this thread, to be honest, but I'm going to
15 give my experience-tuned advice on "how to get started with Java",
16 something I did 10 years ago.
17
18 Start off with that tutorial and a good text editor and the latest JDK -
19 1.5.0_06, I believe. The text editor I personally recommend, unless you
20 already have a favorite, is jEdit. 4.2 is in portage, or if you want
21 bleeding edge, you can get a 4.3 beta. If you're using jdk1.5 and gnome,
22 you can change the look and feel to GTK+, and it will adopt your gnome
23 theme.
24
25 While an IDE is nice for productivity, I think it's best to start off
26 with just the command-line tools (javac in particular) and a text editor
27 that gives decent syntax highlighting, code completion, etc. After
28 you're comfortable with how it all works, try a few IDE's - that's
29 really the only way you'll find one you like. My personal preference is
30 JetBrains' IntelliJ IDEA, but it's not free. Then when something doesn't
31 work right in the IDE, or it's producing unexpected results, you'll have
32 a better idea of how to track down the problem because you know Java
33 without the cushion of the IDE.
34
35 Good luck and have fun.
36