From: Chris Woods <chris@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Startup advice
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:12:49
Stuart Howard wrote:
> As you might expect I am running on information overload here ;)
[...]
Absolutely the best material you can get both for learning and for reference is from Sun, hands-down. http://java.sun.com/tutorial - you can also purchase a dead tree version if you're more comfortable with a book in your hands. I know a lot of people are. I haven't followed most of this thread, to be honest, but I'm going to give my experience-tuned advice on "how to get started with Java", something I did 10 years ago. Start off with that tutorial and a good text editor and the latest JDK - 1.5.0_06, I believe. The text editor I personally recommend, unless you already have a favorite, is jEdit. 4.2 is in portage, or if you want bleeding edge, you can get a 4.3 beta. If you're using jdk1.5 and gnome, you can change the look and feel to GTK+, and it will adopt your gnome theme. While an IDE is nice for productivity, I think it's best to start off with just the command-line tools (javac in particular) and a text editor that gives decent syntax highlighting, code completion, etc. After you're comfortable with how it all works, try a few IDE's - that's really the only way you'll find one you like. My personal preference is JetBrains' IntelliJ IDEA, but it's not free. Then when something doesn't work right in the IDE, or it's producing unexpected results, you'll have a better idea of how to track down the problem because you know Java without the cushion of the IDE. Good luck and have fun. Chris chris@××××××××.org http://bitspace.org/ World peace begins with inner peace. -- gentoo-java@g.o mailing list