From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Java 6.0 or 1.6
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2006 21:11:28
1 Mike Pagano wrote:
2 > Much thanks and appreciation to the Gentoo java Team for their work on
3 > 1.5.
4 >
5 > I am in no rush to see 1.6, but as a developer I am just curious to
6 > know how you feel about the design and implementation decisions you
7 > made for 1.5. Do you feel it will facilitate the release of 1.6
8 > quicker and easier for your guys or do you expect a smaller but
9 > similar amount of work to do before it can be released for Gentoo
10 > users?
11 It's going to be trivial to support 1.6. One of the main strategies of
12 the new system has been that it will switch VMs at build time
13 appropriately. So, if there is a package which doesn't build against
14 1.6, it will build with 1.5 or whatever instead.
15
16 We've been testing with 1.6 betas for several months now, so most
17 packages that break with it have been already updated to use 1.5
18 instead. Of course, at some point, we will want to get the packages
19 properly patched so they compile cleanly against 1.6, but the new system
20 gives us breathing room to do this at our leisure.
23 Joshua Nichols
24 Gentoo/Java - Project Lead
27 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list