From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] binary virtual machines and use flags / dependencies (X, alsa, odbc)
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2006 02:04:03

Currently, all the binary virtual machines link against libraries from
X, alsa, and  unixODBC.

Currently, we handle this in a couple ways (using alsa as an example):
* Have ' alsa? ( media-libs/alsa-lib ) ' in DEPEND/RDEPEND
	In these cases, if you don't use the USE flag, you'll have shared
objects that don't have don't have all their deps filled. This prob

* Have ' alsa? ( media-libs/alsa-lib ) ' in DEPEND/RDEPEND, and remove
the libs that link against alsa libs.
	This is better, as revdep-rebuild wouldn't be unhappy about the missing
symbols. However, if you use some classes need the missing shared
library, I'm not sure what will happen. Nothing good, I'd guess.

I don't think either of these are particular ideal. I think it would
slightly better to depend on the things that the libraries needed.
Someone that _really_ doesn't want the dependencies could put them into

Any thoughts, or perhaps other suggestions?

- - Josh
Version: GnuPG v1.4.2.2 (GNU/Linux)
Comment: Using GnuPG with Mozilla -