From: Kyle Pan <kyle.j.pan@×××××.com>
To: Serkan Kaba <serkan@g.o>
Cc: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-java] Re: Java/Gentoo IDE integration-------about Jython version
Date: Sun, 08 May 2011 15:10:54
1 Hi Serkan,
2
3 On Sat, May 7, 2011 at 16:56, Serkan Kaba <serkan@g.o> wrote:
5 > Hash: SHA1
6 >
7 > On 06-05-2011 18:10, Kyle Pan wrote:
8 >> Hi Serkan,
9 >>
10 >> During the past few days I was  putting my hands  to write demos for
11 >> querying java-config vars and here's a issue aroused during finding
12 >> documentation to read I'd like to discuss with you.
13 >>
14 >> I want to make sure that can I base my Java part of work on Jython
15 >> 2.5. Currently, in gentoo portage tree  there're three main versions
16 >> of Jython, namely 2.1,2.2 and 2.5.(under dev-java/jython). The current
17 >> marked stable one is 2.2. So at first I intended to base my Java part
18 >> development on 2.2. However,  I browsed all around the Jython official
19 >> page(http://www.jython.org/),  but cannot find documentation
20 >> specialized to 2.2(even such basic info like which Python version it
21 >> implements , etc). All documentation currently on www.jython.org is
22 >> for 2.5 release.
23 >> According to Jython website, 2.5 is the latest major release and
24 >> highly recommended by Jython project, recognized as a "major leap
25 >> forward"(http://www.jython.org/jythonbook/en/1.0/) and the most
26 >> important is that it is  well-documented. Also, It implements Python
27 >> 2.5.(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jython,Status and roadmap section),
28 >> while currently I cannot find Jython 2.2 implements which version of
29 >> Python.
30 >>
31 >> So I'd strongly prefer to base my Java part development on Jython 2.5.
32 >>  Firstly, If I base it on 2.2 , the doc I can learn from and rely on
33 >> would be a big problem for me. I cannot find  documentation
34 >> specialized for Jython 2.2 . All well documentation currently I can
35 >> find on Jython website is for 2.5 now. Secondly, compared to 2.5, 2,2
36 >> is an old release. 2.5 is trend and officially promoted one.
37 >> The only concern about using 2.5 is it is currently marked as ~x86 and
38 >> ~amd64, but I don't think it's a big problem because it's the trend
39 >> and as time goes on 2.5 will be marked stable, and I believe it won't
40 >> take too long to happen.
41 >>
42 >> Of course I will also take it into consideration and try my best to
43 >> make my code work both on 2.2 and 2.5. (That's the best. However,
44 >> since 2.5 is "major forward" to 2.2, the differences between them may
45 >> be not small, so it may be not easy work to make the codes compatible
46 >> with both. ) If this situation happens, I'd  prefer guarantee
47 >> compatibility to 2.5.
48 >>
49 >> So If it's acceptable, I  start to code using Jython 2.5. However, it
50 >> would always be better to consult you before any decision is made, I
51 >> think:)
52 >>
53 >> Thanks
56 > Hi Kyle,
57 >
58 > It's nice to hear back from you. So I understand that you're making
59 > progress. In my opinion, depending on bleeding edge software isn't a
60 > problem, so go ahead. These 2 versions are in different slots and
61 > considered as 2 different packages (Side note: Think about how to treat
62 > them in your plugin)
63 >
64 > Another thing I want to mention is about communication. It's best to
65 > communicate via our gentoo-java ML instead of personal emails (unless
66 > there's something *personal*). You can find info on how to subscribe in
67 > http://www.gentoo.org/main/en/lists.xml
68 Ok. From now on I'll post to/CC gentoo-java when appropriate.
71 > Did you decide on the name? (I have a suggestion of GenEclipse) I'll
72 > create the SVN tree and get your commit rights setup. Once that's done.
73 > I would like to have your demo codes online as well. They,in the future,
74 > will evolve into the plugin. This also makes your progress visible.
75 Though I had proposed JarImporter, GenEclipse is better , I think. So
76 choose GenEclipse would be ok.
79 > - --
80 > Sincerely,
81 > Serkan KABA