From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Fwd: [gentoo-java] webapp-config & Java
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 11:55:51
1 ---------- Forwarded message ----------
2 From: Jose Gonzalez Gomez <jgonzalez.openinput@×××××.com>
3 Date: 27-ene-2006 12:54
4 Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] webapp-config & Java
5 To: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>
6
7 2006/1/27, Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>:
8 >
9 > On Thu, 2006-26-01 at 16:56 -0500, Joshua Nichols wrote:
10 >
11 > > Following the spirit of not using bundled jars for building, this leads
12 > > me to think that it would be better to explode the wars, and replace the
13 >
14 > > jars contained within with symlinks to the jars on the system.
15 >
16 > Note that some app-servers can't/won't deal with an exploded war/ear.
19 I think this issue has more to do with solving the issues with java builds
20 based in ant or maven than finding bundled jars... currently almost every
21 Java package out there is built using either ant or maven (please, some Java
22 Gentoo developer correct me if I'm wrong). In the case of maven, jar
23 dependencies are not bundled with source files, they are specified as
24 dependencies in the project descriptors. In the case of web applications,
25 those dependencies are downloaded from binary repositories, and bundled in
26 the WEB-INF/lib directory of the war file at build time. The obvious
27 solution (don't know if easy to implement, I remember some discussion here
28 regarding this) is to intercept in some way the maven dependency resolution
29 mechanism and instead of downloading binary jars, take jars from the java
30 packages already installed by Gentoo.
31
32 In case you still want to go the explode/replace way, as Andrew tells, you
33 won't be able to use symlinks, as some app-servers can't deal with exploded
34 archives. You should replace those jars with jars present on the system, and
35 then repackage and deploy the archive. I see this more unnatural than the
36 previous solution, although maybe easier to do.
37
38 Best regads
39 Jose
40
41 Arghh... hadn't this list activated the reply-to-list option some time ago??