From: Ray Hunter <bigdog@××××××××.com>
To: Gentoo Java <gentoo-java@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] Is JDK 1.3 still used?
Date: Fri, 27 Jan 2006 08:45:03
1 Karl Trygve Kalleberg wrote:
2 > as you may know, we're working on the migration to Java 1.5, much thanks
3 > to all the hard work done by Thomas Mathijs (of axxo-overlay fame).
4 >
5 > The migration brings about something of a spring cleaning, too. We'd
6 > like to remove packages that are not in use and cause more harm than good.
7 >
8 > One candidate for removal are the 1.3 JDKs on x86. We are aware that 1.3
9 > JDKs may still be the latest and greatest on some platforms, they seem
10 > very much out of vogue on x86.
11 >
12 > Does anybody still need/use the 1.3 JDK on x86?
13
14 I know there are still some application servers that use 1.3 and i use
15 it alot to test with before i actually deploy to those servers. I know
16 that there are some java apps that require the 1.3 to compile their
17 source. i have been looking at doing the apache derby ebuild and that
18 one require that you use 1.3 and 1.4 to build certain parts of it
19 (http://db.apache.org/derby/derby_downloads.html#How+to+build+Derby) so
20 i think there still might be some need for 1.3.
23 ray
24 --
25 gentoo-java@g.o mailing list