From: Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>
To: Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>
Cc: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>, gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] icedtea6 bootstrap
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:19:10
On 9/17/08, Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org> wrote:
> First of all, there is no need to go to such lengths removing gcj afterwards. > It's not going to hurt to leave it on.
It takes a lot of resources (disk, time rebuilding, unused components). So there is a reason to keep system as small as possible.
> Also, the build depends on jdk >= 1.5 already, so CACAO or JamVM would > do the job fine. But you'd have similar bootstrap issues, because these > require GNU Classpath and that requires ecj, etc.
So gcj is the best alternative. But what happens if gcc stops providing this in favor of OpenJDK?
> Building a Java environment can be a nightmare to be honest :) > I guess the only non-GCJ way would be to use Jikes, then an older Classpath > to get ecj working, then build the new ones.
I guess I am asking that icedtea6 does not have such boostrap in package... If it does not provide this, users should have a simple way to bootstrap it in Gentoo... Providing a simple script is sufficient. Thanks, Alon.

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-java] icedtea6 bootstrap Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>