From: Alon Bar-Lev <alon.barlev@×××××.com>
To: Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org>
Cc: Andrew Cowie <andrew@×××××××××××××××××××.com>, gentoo-java@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-java] icedtea6 bootstrap
Date: Wed, 17 Sep 2008 18:19:10
1 On 9/17/08, Andrew John Hughes <gnu_andrew@××××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > First of all, there is no need to go to such lengths removing gcj afterwards.
3 > It's not going to hurt to leave it on.
4
5 It takes a lot of resources (disk, time rebuilding, unused components).
6 So there is a reason to keep system as small as possible.
7
8 > Also, the build depends on jdk >= 1.5 already, so CACAO or JamVM would
9 > do the job fine. But you'd have similar bootstrap issues, because these
10 > require GNU Classpath and that requires ecj, etc.
11
12 So gcj is the best alternative. But what happens if gcc stops
13 providing this in favor of OpenJDK?
14
15 > Building a Java environment can be a nightmare to be honest :)
16 > I guess the only non-GCJ way would be to use Jikes, then an older Classpath
17 > to get ecj working, then build the new ones.
18
19 I guess I am asking that icedtea6 does not have such boostrap in package...
20 If it does not provide this, users should have a simple way to
21 bootstrap it in Gentoo... Providing a simple script is sufficient.
22
23 Thanks,
24 Alon.