From: Marc Blumentritt <M.Blumentritt@×××××××××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-kbase@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kbase] Possible topic for kbase?
Date: Sat, 12 Aug 2006 19:10:14
1 Hi,
2
3 I do not know, if in this stage of the kbase it is a little bit early to
4 suggest topics for it, but I do it anyway ;)
5
6 I would like to have something official from Gentoo about toolchain
7 handling. I asked about this on the doc list [1]. I repeat my point:
8 there are several discussions on the forums and email lists about how to
9 properly update your toolchain. Mike Frysinger pointed out on the doc
10 list, that "people shouldnt care ... it should always "just work"" [2].
11 This goes in the direction of "your system will be updated to the new
12 toolchain over time". But some people do not want this, they want to
13 update thier complete system, if the toolchain changes. There are
14 suggestions for this like "emerge -e system && emerge -e system &&
15 emerge -e world && emerge -e world" and people saying, that this is
16 stupid. Also major updates of toolchain packages (like gcc-3.3 to
17 gcc-3.4 and greater) can break your system, if not properly done. So a
18 kbase article explaining about major updates, weighing out all options
19 and describing all pro and cons, finishing with a recommended solution
20 would be nice!
23 In one of my posts on the doc list [3], I outlined a much more generic
24 toolchain guide. Since Sven pointed out in one of his posts on this
25 list, that he would like to see more general solutions, I would be very
26 happy, if this would enter the kbase, too.
29 Regards,
30 Marc
33 [1] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.documentation/2568
34 [2] http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.documentation/2573