From: Sven Vermeulen <swift@g.o>
To: gentoo-kbase@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kbase] Next step
Date: Mon, 05 Jun 2006 16:41:40
1 On Sun, Jun 04, 2006 at 01:23:14AM +0200, Ceesjan Luiten wrote:
2 > - Also, it would be a good thing to give every entry a unique, static
3 > KB ID, visible on the page itself, just like MS's KB. For easy
4 > referring and all.
5
6 Definitely
7
8 > - A section pointing to other similar topics might be useful
9
10 That might seem as a good idea first, but it might be more difficult to
11 implement. How do you decide what a similar topic is which still adresses
12 the user his concern?
13
14 I'd rather have a section with references to other resources (including Gentoo
15 documentation).
16
17 > I wondered, have you thought about linkage with the forum ? Atm it
18 > contains quite a few topics that would fit in the KB, so we probably
19 > have to port them one day. The 'user comments' from your glep could then
20 > link back to the origal post, using the forum for the comments.
21
22 Many topics in the forums are great candidates for inclusion in the
23 Knowledge Base. Perhaps not verbatim as we do need to make sure the
24 maintainer of the topic knows what the topic is about. I don't want to have
25 maintainers copy stuff from the Internet (including forums) without knowing
26 what the topic is about.
27
28 For instance, I will definitely not add topics to the knowledge base about
29 KDE as I hardly use it (just build it occasionally to try it out). Not even
30 when the topic is well described somewhere.
31
32 > PS: your glep states 'Last-Modified: 2005/09/20 19:32:36'... that's
33 > probably not correct ;)
34
35 No, I just picked a GLEP, removed all cruft and added my own content.
36
37 Wkr,
38 Sven Vermeulen
41 Gentoo Foundation Trustee | http://foundation.gentoo.org