From: Josh Saddler <nightmorph@g.o>
To: gentoo-kbase@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kbase] Farewell to the kbase project
Date: Sun, 21 Jan 2007 22:10:52
1 Hello. I'm one of the few developers for the Gentoo Knowledge Base
2 project. With the agreement of my fellow developers, I'm announcing the
3 closure of the kbase project.
4
5 As you know, there has been little to no traffic on this list since its
6 inception. Despite some mails sent out to stir up interest, there has
7 been no response forthcoming. There are enough threads on the forums
8 that indicate complete apathy towards kbase; it seems the userbase is
9 satisfied with the documentation provided by the GDP. Also, now that
10 SwifT, our project's founder, has since retired, there is even less
11 direction.
12
13 In short, we lack leadership, time, commitment, know-how, technical
14 skills, and resources to implement and maintain a knowledge base.
15
16 Therefore, it's better to end the project now rather than continue to
17 let it drift in limbo. In truth, it's been effectively dead for many
18 months now. Perhaps someday, far in the future, when Gentoo is at that
19 mythical "enterprise" level, a kbase may be considered necessary to the
20 distribution and will be resurrected. But now is too soon. It's a good
21 idea, but it's neither the right time nor place; Gentoo simply doesn't
22 need a kbase. There are no plans to revitalize the project either; the
23 mail I sent out some months ago confirms the lack of interest/technical
24 knowledge/etc.
25
26 Note that the kbase developers will still continue their work in other
27 areas of Gentoo; the only thing we are retiring is the project itself.
28
29 Thanks to everyone who contributed ideas to this point. So long, and
30 thanks for all the fish.
33 - Josh Saddler