From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] vanilla-kernel sources should not be marked stable for obsolete versions
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2013 22:05:40
1 On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 12:46:01PM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > >>Another reason for dropping all vanilla-sources to ~arch is that we
3 > >>have some Gentoo specific needs that upstream will not and should
4 > >>not accept, eg we are making greater use of extended attributes in
5 > >>our package management, so we need end-to-end copying of xattrs.
6 > >>This means preserving certain namespaces (beyond security.* and
7 > >>trusted.*) on tmpfs for emerge. Gentoo users that use
8 > >>vanilla-sources will loose those xattr values making vanilla-sources
9 > >>~ with respect to the rest of Gentoo.
10 > >What? So we are now relying on kernel patches that are not merged
11 > >upstream for proper operation of at Gentoo-based system? That's news to
12 > >me, I've _never_ run a gentoo-based kernel on my boxes in all of my
13 > >years as a Gentoo developer, with no problems, and I don't think we want
14 > >to require this in the future, do you?
15 >
16 > Its related to PaX coming form the grsec/pax team.
17
18 Ah, this is just the "hardened" stuff, not the "normal" gentoo kernels,
19 right?
20
21 > >Also, why aren't these patches upstream? Were they rejected? Just not
22 > >ready? No one submitted them?
23 >
24 > We need to maintain a special namespace on tmpfs beyond security.*
25 > and trusted.* It is "user.pax.flags" and it is limited to 8 bytes.
26 > Without it, we will not have end-to-end xattr support for the
27 > namespaces we need in Gentoo.
28 >
29 > As for why they are not upstream, I can try. I'm like 99.9% certain
30 > it will be rejected but at the very least, if the rejection is "we
31 > don't need that crap" then I can safely ignore it, but if the
32 > rejection is "there's a gapping security whole" then we can at least
33 > address it even if in the end they pulled into vanilla.
34
35 Any pointers to the patch so that I can take a look at it?
36
37 thanks,
38
39 greg k-h