From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] linux-mod addition: modules.d file generation
Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2004 17:01:06
1 On Sun, Dec 05, 2004 at 08:51:58PM +0000, Daniel Drake wrote:
2 > >I guess I don't see the need for why we have these modules.d files.
3 > >Anyone want to hit me with the cluestick for being not awake yet today?
4 >
5 > To provide default options when loading or autoloading modules. For
6 > example, I have the example in that file uncommented, and when I boot up,
7 > nvidia module gets autoloaded with those options I have specified. To be
8 > more specific, all of the /etc/modules.d/ files get aggregated into
9 > /etc/modules.conf when "modules-update" is run (every bootup).
10 >
11 > Bear in mind that I am simply automating/generalising a process that is
12 > already in place. Currently,
13 > /usr/portage/media-video/nvidia-kernel/files/1.0.6629/nvidia is copied into
14 > /etc/modules.d but I am trying to generate a mechanism to automatically
15 > generate this and generalise it so that other module ebuilds can use it too.
16
17 Ok, thanks for the explaination. Forgot about that "default options"
18 for modules stuff.
19
20 thanks,
21