From: Master Control Program <jonlin@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] How works Genkernel's non-interactive 'make oldconfig'
Date: Fri, 15 Jun 2007 23:01:41
1 "Ryan Sims" <rwsims@×××××.com> wrote on 06/15/2007 03:39:38 PM:
2
3 > On 6/15/07, Arne St=E4cker <arnestaecker@×××.de> wrote:
4 > > Am Freitag, 15. Juni 2007 schrieb Greg KH:
5 > > > That's not really safe. You want to use the defaults, which is w=
6 hat
7 I
8 > > > think 'silentoldconfig' does. You really don't want to enable an=
9
10 option
11 > > > like "Add self-destruct mode" to the kernel if it is newly presen=
12 t :)
13 > > >
14 > > > thanks,
15 > > >
16 > > > greg k-h
17 > > Good point. I will then use "echo n | make oldconfig" by default.
18 >
19 > I'm not sure that really removes the danger. What if they split out =
20 a
21 > driver you need into some other config option? If there's a way to
22 > echo a newline to all the questions, that would at least accept the
23 > defaults.
24 >
25 > Pardon me for being reactionary, but does "non-interactive kernel
26 > configuration" give anyone else the cold sweats?
29 Yep, shot myself in the foot when SATA options appeared in the kernel
30 and there was no boot device.
37 End of line.
38 --
39 gentoo-kernel@g.o mailing list