From: Michal Januszewski <spock@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] push kernel bugs upstream sooner and bootsplash/vesa-ng stuff
Date: Fri, 11 Aug 2006 21:19:42
1 On Fri, Jul 21, 2006 at 08:46:58AM +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
2
3 > Michal can provide you with clearer answers but here is what I know:
4 >
5 > fbsplash was submitted about a year ago. Some developers commented "do
6 > it in userspace, you can do almost all of that there", and others gave
7 > feedback on things which must be changed or fixed before it is to be
8 > considered. I don't think Michal has had time to finish addressing those
9 > points -- when are you going to get SuSE to hire him? :)
10
11 I'm sorry this reply is so terribly delayed, but I have been away at the
12 time this message was sent. What Daniel said above is true. I didn't
13 really have time to address or dispute all these issues (I'm not sure
14 all of them were fixable).
15
16 What's more, I don't think it is possible to get fbsplash merged at this
17 point. Currently, the predominant vision for a themed console, with
18 bell'n'whistles and stuff, is to do it completely in userspace (see
19 the rather lengthy 'OpenGL-based framebuffer concepts' discussion [lkml,
20 June 2006]). The idea is to do fbcon in userspace and keep only a very
21 simple console driver in the kernel (for things such as printing
22 oopses). Obviously, having the console completely in userspace makes
23 it possible to do virtually anything with it -- the possibilities are
24 by no means limited by just setting background images.
25
26 I have to say I like this idea of a userspace console and plan to work
27 on it after I'm finished with all the old stuff I'm stuck with right
28 now.
29
30 > I don't think fbsplash is too far away from possible kernel inclusion,
31 > but vesafb-tng is. It is x86-only and is a big hack by design. Here's a
32 > recent comment from Michal:
33 >
34 > >Wrt the future of vesafb-tng -- it's unlikely any code can be moved
35 > >to vesafb. The way to go (and this seems to be both my own opinion
36 > >and the opinion of the fb developers) is to have the vm86 code
37 > >separated into an userspace application (which will also make it
38 > >possible for the driver to work on non-x86, since x86emu can be used
39 > >in place of vm86). I'm going to work on this during the summer, but I
40 > >wouldn't want to set any deadlines or promise completion dates just
41 > >yet :)
42
43 The quote says it all :)
44