From: Branko Badrljica <brankob@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for help with kernel maintenance
Date: Thu, 04 Dec 2008 13:27:04
Daniel Drake wrote:
> Nicolas Sebrecht wrote: >> Does someone knows a good general (and free) documentation where to >> start ? > > For working with the internals, specifically driver-side stuff and the > mechanisms you need to write drivers, this book is really good (and > free): > > > I'm also fond of this book which complements LDD3 nicely (it talks > about the scheduler, memory management, and a lot of other non-driver > stuff which LDD3 purposefully omits): > > It's not free though. > > Daniel >
After reading/skimming "essentials" and "kernel drivers", my favourite way is to use Code::Blocks, make an empty project and then recursively import all the kernel sources into it. It is big pile of source and import takes a few minutes, but being able to browse, search and jump effotlessly through the tree more than makes it wortwhile. Caveat: C::B will crash during the import phase if during that time there is other program that significantly loads CPUs or if user generates gtk events by clicking on the program window. I suspect the cause for this in wxGTK, but haven't been able to pinpoint it. It's good enough for me at this time...

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-kernel] Re: [gentoo-dev] Looking for help with kernel maintenance Nicolas Sebrecht <nicolas.s-dev@×××××××.net>