From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Cc: kernel-misc@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] virtual/linux-sources-2.6
Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 16:03:23
> On 07/23/2011 07:09 PM, Krzysztof Pawlik wrote: >> Currently virtual/linux-sources-2.6 depends on sys-kernel/foo-2.6*, >> should we create virtual/linux-sources-3.0 (and start fixing >> ebuilds depending on =virtual/linux-sources-2.6) or just change >> virtual/linux-sources-2.6 to depend on >=2.6 ? Opinions?
Currently version 3.0 is only available with vanilla-sources and gentoo-sources. Therefore the problem is that virtual/linux-sources-3 would pull in one of these even for users of other *-sources (e.g. hardened). On the other hand, allowing versions 3.* as dependency of virtual/linux-sources-2.6 might be confusing. Therefore, my suggestion would be as follows: 1. Temporarily change the dependency in virtual/linux-sources-2.6 to >=2.6 in order to resolve the current issues with dependencies. 2. Later, when most of *-sources are available in version 3.*, revert linux-sources-2.6 to the current dependency and create virtual/linux-sources-3. (I think the version should be just 3 and not 3.0, unless you want a virtual for 3.0, 3.1, etc.) Or, a completely different approach: Drop the versioning of the virtual altogether and have only virtual/linux-sources-0. (This might cause some minor problems for users of 2.4 profiles, but I'd guess that the remaining users are experienced enough to handle that.)
> CC'ed maintainers / herd.
Thanks. Ulrich

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-kernel] virtual/linux-sources-2.6 Stratos Psomadakis <psomas@g.o>