From: Tom Wijsman <TomWij@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] Notice of addition of "4567_distro-Gentoo-Kconfig.patch" ("Add Gentoo Linux support config settings and defaults.") to genpatches.
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2013 17:28:22
1 Hello
5 If you maintain kernels based on genpatches for a non Gentoo Linux
6 audience and do not want a Gentoo Linux menu or Gentoo Linux defaults
7 present on those particular kernels; then I want to make you aware that
8 you need to ensure that you drop 4567_distro-Gentoo-Kconfig.patch from
9 the patch set after extraction.
10
11 This patch has been, in first instance, introduced to deal with one of
12 the large annoyances our users have to deal with; which is the need
13 for the user to enable DEVTMPFS, we now enable this by default. As a
14 result, our users will no longer experience this problem and a lot of
15 documentation that previously recommended this can be simplified.
16
17 Besides that, we also try to provide options that ease changing a lot
18 of CONFIG variables at once; for instance, if an user wants systemd
19 support in the kernel the user can now toggle just one option instead
20 of searching all the options one after another. This latter addition is
21 an experiment, but I believe that it will be seen as useful...
22
23 This will be present in the next releases (3.0, 3.2, 3.4, 3.10+).
24
25 If you experience inconvenience, let me know so I can help.
26
27 Thank you for your understanding.
30 With kind regards,
31
32 Tom Wijsman (TomWij)
33 Gentoo Developer
34
35 E-mail address : TomWij@g.o
36 GPG Public Key : 6D34E57D
37 GPG Fingerprint : C165 AF18 AB4C 400B C3D2 ABF0 95B2 1FCD 6D34 E57D