From: Michal Januszewski <spock@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] [announce] vesafb-tng-0.9-rc7 released
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:12:19
1 Hi,
2
3 A few days ago Brix suggested that I send announcements about new
4 releases of vesafb-tng and fbsplash to this list, which I think is a
5 good idea. Here comes the first message :)
6
7 Excerpt from the ChangeLog
8 --------------------------
9 27 Jun 2005 * <spock@g.o> * vesafb-tng-0.9-rc7-2.6.12-git-20050627
10
11 - Fixed compilation problems with GCC 4.0 (thanks go to Christian Heim
12 <christian.th.heim(at)gmx.de> for reporting the problem and providing
13 a fix).
14 - Fixed a potential kernel oops which could occur if the user was
15 attempting to use a video mode that requires more memory than
16 vesafb-tng had remapped at boot.
17 - Attempted to decrease memory usage. So far vesafb-tng has been
18 using 0x20000 bytes for the vm86 environment. This was a "safe"
19 value and has now been lowered to 0x4000. If this causes any
20 problems, please report back to me.
21
22 Link to the patch
23 -----------------
24 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/projects/vesafb-tng/archive/vesafb-tng-0.9-rc7-2.6.12-git-20050627.patch
25
26 The patch was generated against Linus' linux-2.6 git tree and should
27 apply cleanly against 2.6.12.
28
29 Notes
30 -----
31 The new sizes of memory buffers are somewhat experimental and could
32 potentially break the framebuffer for some users. I've tested the new
33 values and found them to be safe for nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400. Additional
34 testing would be appreciated.
35
36 Live long and prosper.
37 --
38 Michal 'Spock' Januszewski Gentoo Linux Developer
39 cell: +48504917690 http://dev.gentoo.org/~spock/
40 JID: spock@×××××××××.org freenode: #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-pl