From: Michal Januszewski <spock@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] [announce] vesafb-tng-0.9-rc7 released
Date: Mon, 27 Jun 2005 20:12:19

A few days ago Brix suggested that I send announcements about new
releases of vesafb-tng and fbsplash to this list, which I think is a
good idea. Here comes the first message :)

Excerpt from the ChangeLog
27 Jun 2005 * <spock@g.o> * vesafb-tng-0.9-rc7-2.6.12-git-20050627

 - Fixed compilation problems with GCC 4.0 (thanks go to Christian Heim
   <> for reporting the problem and providing
   a fix).
 - Fixed a potential kernel oops which could occur if the user was
   attempting to use a video mode that requires more memory than
   vesafb-tng  had remapped at boot.
 - Attempted to decrease memory usage. So far vesafb-tng has been
   using 0x20000 bytes for the vm86 environment. This was a "safe"
   value and has now been lowered to 0x4000. If this causes any
   problems, please report back to me.

Link to the patch

The patch was generated against Linus' linux-2.6 git tree and should
apply cleanly against 2.6.12.

The new sizes of memory buffers are somewhat experimental and could
potentially break the framebuffer for some users. I've tested the new
values and found them to be safe for nVidia GeForce 2 MX 400. Additional
testing would be appreciated.

Live long and prosper.
Michal 'Spock' Januszewski                        Gentoo Linux Developer
cell: +48504917690
JID: spock@×××××××××.org               freenode: #gentoo-dev, #gentoo-pl

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-kernel] [announce] vesafb-tng-0.9-rc7 released Henrik Brix Andersen <brix@g.o>