From: Kumba <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] [ANNOUNCE] genpatches-2.6.16-2 release
Date: Wed, 29 Mar 2006 04:37:26
1 Henrik Brix Andersen wrote:
2 > On Tue, Mar 28, 2006 at 05:48:13PM +0100, Daniel Drake wrote:
3 >> John Mylchreest wrote:
4 >>> Since were bunlding these whole now, should we just start naming the
5 >>> ebuilds correctly instead?
6 >> I don't think so. 2 -stable releases in the 2.6.15 cycle didn't have any
7 >> immediate corresponding gentoo-sources bump since the patches were
8 >> already included. The fact that we include patches alongside -stable
9 >> means that using their notation isn't entirely accurate in our situation.
10 >
11 > Both naming schemes have their advantages, but I see more
12 > disadvantages with using the 2.6.x.y naming scheme in gentoo-sources
13 > than I see advantages (primarily the reason Daniel stated above).
14 >
15 > I suggest we keep the current naming scheme for gentoo-sources, as it
16 > seems most correct.
17 >
18 > Regards,
19 > Brix
20
21 fwiw, I've got mips-sources modified to follow the upstream kernel.org notation
22 of 2.6.x.y (even though our primary upstream, linux-mips.org, doesn't utilize
23 this notation at all).
24
25 There's logic in the ebuild that can switch between using -rc, point releases
26 (the .y ones) and standard versions, and it modifies the logic to fetch the
27 appropriate patch(es) from upstream to save on what we need to upload to the
28 gentoo mirrors.
29
30 Been following this since ~2.6.12, and we haven't had any issues with the
31 versioning in portage or reported from users. mips-headers even uses it now.
34 --Kumba
37 Gentoo/MIPS Team Lead
38 Gentoo Foundation Board of Trustees
39
40 "Such is oft the course of deeds that move the wheels of the world: small hands
41 do them because they must, while the eyes of the great are elsewhere." --Elrond
42 --
43 gentoo-kernel@g.o mailing list