From: Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Cc: mips@g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] sys-kernel/mips-firmware: thoughts?
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2020 21:49:25
9 This brings up the issue that frankly, sys-kernel/linux-firmware is overkill
10 for currently-supported MIPS targets. Speaking for just the SGI systems,
11 MIPS literally needs only 4 firmware blobs (1 is critical, 1 optional, the
12 other two are for the future):
13 - acenic/tg2.bin: optional for ACENIC/Tigon II PCI cards
14 - qlogic/1040.bin: required for QLA1040 on SGI IP27, IP30
15 - qlogic/1280.bin: future use (maybe on SGI IP35?)
16 - qlogic/12160.bin: future use (maybe on SGI IP35?)
17
18 I wanted to see if there would be any problem with creating a
19 sys-kernel/mips-firmware package to contain, at least initially, these four
20 firmware files from the linux-firmware repo, and install them to either
21 /lib/firmware-mips or /usr/share/mips-firmware (thinking more the latter to
22 avoid polluting /lib any further).
23
24 These four blobs have not seen updates in years, so I anticipate there being
25 only a single ebuild for sys-kernel/mips-firmware. It'll be versioned like
26 the virtual packages (mips-firmware-1, -2, -3, etc), rather than by
27 datestamp, as the only times a version bump happens is if the firmware blobs
28 ever change or we add/remove a blob.
29
30 Thoughts/feedback?
33 Joshua Kinard
34 Gentoo/MIPS
35 kumba@g.o
36 rsa6144/5C63F4E3F5C6C943 2015-04-27
37 177C 1972 1FB8 F254 BAD0 3E72 5C63 F4E3 F5C6 C943
38
39 "The past tempts us, the present confuses us, the future frightens us. And
40 our lives slip away, moment by moment, lost in that vast, terrible in-between."
41
42 --Emperor Turhan, Centauri Republic