From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] linux-mod / linux-info changes
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:53:39

I just went over the linux-mod and linux-info stuff, we had at least had some
preliminary discussion on this beforehand but the stuff that went into portage
isn't quite how I would like it.

Firstly there isn't enough error checking in the version getting code.
Especially after a recent bug in the kernel-2 eclass where old sources got
partially removed, some people have broken kernel source trees lying around
and do not get a useful error message from linux-info when it can't parse the
version info.

Secondly, whilst getfilevar looks good, its interface looks quite poor. We
should be trying to simplify things for ebuilds, not worrying them that the
config file is called ".config" and is located under $KV_OUT_DIR and not
$KV_DIR .. (and think about what would happen if .config was renamed to
something else..)
So I replaced those functions, and they can be used from ebuilds like:
	linux_chkconfig_builtin MTRR
which will check that CONFIG_MTRR=y

If there are no objections then I'll commit this and fix up the ebuilds
sometime soon (do we have any users other than nvidia-kernel and alsa-driver?)

File name MIME type
eclass-diff text/plain