From: Daniel Drake <dsd@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] linux-mod / linux-info changes
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2004 21:53:39
1 Hi,
2
3 I just went over the linux-mod and linux-info stuff, we had at least had some
4 preliminary discussion on this beforehand but the stuff that went into portage
5 isn't quite how I would like it.
6
7 Firstly there isn't enough error checking in the version getting code.
8 Especially after a recent bug in the kernel-2 eclass where old sources got
9 partially removed, some people have broken kernel source trees lying around
10 and do not get a useful error message from linux-info when it can't parse the
11 version info.
12
13 Secondly, whilst getfilevar looks good, its interface looks quite poor. We
14 should be trying to simplify things for ebuilds, not worrying them that the
15 config file is called ".config" and is located under $KV_OUT_DIR and not
16 $KV_DIR .. (and think about what would happen if .config was renamed to
17 something else..)
18 So I replaced those functions, and they can be used from ebuilds like:
19 linux_chkconfig_builtin MTRR
20 which will check that CONFIG_MTRR=y
21
22 If there are no objections then I'll commit this and fix up the ebuilds
23 sometime soon (do we have any users other than nvidia-kernel and alsa-driver?)
24
25 Daniel

eclass-diff text/plain