From: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
To: Gentoo Kernel List <gentoo-kernel@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-kernel] Dropping gentoo-sources-4.12
Date: Thu, 07 Dec 2017 17:02:41
1 Hello everyone,
2
3 as Linux Kernel 4.12 is no more an active Linux Kernel release,
4 gentoo-sources-4.12 will be dropped in the next weeks.
5 We will instead start stabilizing in the next weeks (waiting for some
6 new minor revision) Linux Kernel 4.14, that has been marked as
7 Longterm Release Kernel.
8 (waiting 30 days for stabilizing the kernel sources is not good,
9 as we have new kernels each week. Instead could be better to
10 wait around one week after the introduction)
11 More than waiting time after the introduction of the kernel sources
12 for stabilization, is usually better to wait, instead, for some high
13 minor revision number before stabilization.
14
15 About the Gentoo kernel CI, I'm starting fixing it in my free time,
16 as now it still needs some big brush-up.
17 The CI has a way of checking that the kernel actually booted-up
18 by searching for the login screen after starting it with Qemu and
19 killing the process if after some minutes doesn't come up.
20 This could be used for automatically stabilizing kernel packages in
21 the future, we could also try to add new kind of test after we make a
22 stable version.
25 Thanks,
26 Alice Ferrazzi
27
28 Gentoo Kernel Project Leader
29 Gentoo Vice Secretary
30 Mail: Alice Ferrazzi <alicef@g.o>
31 PGP: 2E4E 0856 461C 0585 1336 F496 5621 A6B2 8638 781A