From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] vanilla-kernel sources should not be marked stable for obsolete versions
Date: Sat, 06 Jul 2013 19:56:20
1 On Thu, Jun 27, 2013 at 03:45:04PM -0400, Mike Pagano wrote:
2 > Are we agreed on a few facts?
3 >
4 > 1. Upstream release rate is now a much higher 1-2 kernels a week.
5 > 2. Very frequently, these releases contain security fixes.
6 > 3. This rate of release puts arch teams in a difficult position, since
7 > it is unsustainable to try to keep up tp date with stabilization
8 > 4. By continuing the policy of providing a stable kernel version, Gentoo
9 > is giving a false sense of security to its users, since by the time the
10 > kernel does get stabilized, a newer version more with more security
11 > fixes is almost always already released.
12
13 I agree with all of this, so, who is going to create the news item? I
14 think we should do this before 3.10.1 is out, just to start it all
15 during a new kernel release cycle, which should happen by the end of
16 next week, pending something causing me to delay it.
17
18 thanks,
19
20 greg k-h