From: Ulrich Mueller <ulm@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] virtual/linux-sources-2.6
Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 14:04:44
> I like the idea of dropping versioning altogether to avoid the > problems of upstream changing versioning again --- what happens when > 4.x comes out? But a quick grep of the tree shows atoms like this:
> <virtual/linux-sources-2.5
> It may be more than just minor problems.
Coming back to this. The above dependency is only found in the profiles/uclibc/*/2.4/packages files, where it is always part of the following group: <sys-kernel/linux-headers-2.5 <sys-kernel/gentoo-sources-2.5 <sys-kernel/hardened-sources-2.5 <sys-kernel/vanilla-sources-2.5 <virtual/linux-sources-2.5 The dependency on <sys-kernel/*-sources-2.5 should be enough to ensure that no newer kernel sources are pulled in. Apart from these profiles, nothing in the tree depends on linux-sources-2.4 any more. So I'd say that we could drop versioning of the virtual altogether. Ulrich