From: Greg KH <gregkh@g.o>
To: gentoo-kernel@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-kernel] vanilla-kernel sources should not be marked stable for obsolete versions
Date: Fri, 21 Jun 2013 16:49:37
1 On Fri, Jun 21, 2013 at 11:46:32AM -0400, Anthony G. Basile wrote:
2 > On 06/21/2013 11:30 AM, Mike Pagano wrote:
3 > >This should be written down and if it's not that's probably on me as I
4 > >am the only kernel person (i think) that was involved in the decision
5 > >and is still around.
6 >
7 > Nope, I was there. It was the IA32 on amd64 syscall local root
8 > exploit that got us "blogged" about ... remember that :)
9 >
10 > Anyhow, no brainer here. The kernel is not like the other software
11 > we stabilize. Somewhere in its configuration space and in the
12 > hardware space in which it will be run, there are bugs. Minor
13 > version bumps to address security issues followed by auto
14 > stabilization are the correct thing to do.
15
16 So that means every single stable release should be marked stable then,
17 right?
18
19 thanks,
20