From: Lord Sauron <lordsauronthegreat@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] ACPI Not Compiled into Kernel, Getting Rid of APM
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2006 21:31:47
1 Hi, some may have seen my effort in Gentoo-Users list to get some ACPI
2 support for my Gentoo-running laptop working. Here's the situation,
3 any more info you want or need I will happily provide upon request.
4
5 1) ACPID is installed. Lemme double-check... yeah, it is. However.
6 whenever I'm looking through /etc, I see all kinds of APMD stuff,
7 which isn't installed. Lemme check that too... yeah, it's not
8 installed.
9
10 Anyways, it looks to me like APMD is still effectively installed on
11 the system, even though portage says it's not. Is this okay? Nothing
12 should start melting or exploding if I just leave it there?
13
14 Also, my next problem:
15
16 2) KDE Control Centre tells me that ACPI support is *not* built into
17 the kernel. I tried enabling it, however, I'm not sure if it actually
18 worked, or if I rebuilt and correctly installed/enabled the newly
19 built kernel... come to think of it, I don't even remember if I
20 carried out the instructions to enable it... I think I might have
21 freaked out and just not carried it out fearing to make the system
22 totally unbootable.
23
24 Anyways, here's my system and my warning about myself:
25
26 System: IBM X40 Type 2386-1CU
27 o Intel Ultra-Low Voltage Pentium M 1000MHz
28 o Intel Extreme Graphics 2 Chipset something or other...
29 o 256MB system RAM
30 o I also forked over some cash to get the X4 Ultra-base dock and a
31 DVD-ROM/CD-RW combo
32
33 Myself: I must know what I'm doing. I'm fairly literate in Linux:
34 I'm learning C++ and bash, and I've been using Debian-based systems
35 for the past 5 months to build myself up to using Gentoo. I really
36 like Gentoo, and I hope to soon configure some desktop computers in my
37 house to make a ultra-cool, ultra-low-budget distcc cluster (yay!)
38 I'm rather self-important, and if I start insulting people, just
39 ignore me: I'm either off my medicine or have suffered a victory in a
40 debate with a Libertarian (it galvanises me into a lot more eloquent
41 and dramatic speech, rather than my normal dulcet tones ; )
42
43 Thanks for any help you can give - I look forward to having the little
44 battery status monitor again!
48 GCS d-(++) s+: a? C++ UL+>++++ P+
49 L++ E--- W+(+++) N++ o? K? w--- O? M+
50 V? PS- PE+ Y-(--) PGP- t+++ 5? X R tv-- b+
51 DI+++ D+ G e* h- !r !y
52 ========= END GCv3.12 ========
55 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list