From: Cliff Rowley <cliffrowley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Power saving
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 17:25:35
Thanks again for your help guys, I'm slowly but surely getting an
efficient Gentoo running on my T40.  My final (I think, don't quote
me) issue is that I'd like to save some power whilst running on
batteries.  With XP I often get well in excess of 4 hours out of my
battery (depending on what I'm doing), yet I'm showing 2 hours 17
minutes at 80% right now, and it's decreasing relatively rapidly
(compared to what I am used to).

I've merged laptop-mode-tools, and my HDD is currently (as I write,
though it'll probably spin up when I click submit) powered down and my
CPU is current restricted to 500Mhz, my screen is on level 2 (of 8)
and I've even temporarily disabled the fan (laptop is sitting pretty
at 41 degrees since all I'm doing is typing into firefox :P), and I
can't seem to get any more juice.

Any ideas?  I've had a scout around to see if there's a way to put my
wireless card into power save mode (xp driver loaded by ndiswrapper)
but no luck there, and that's never something I do under XP anyway.

So, what have I forgotten?  Why am I losing more power than usual?

Thanks again, don't know what I'd do without you guys ;-)