From: mail <lists@×××××.net>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Ethernet not starting...
Date: Thu, 26 Apr 2007 13:11:42
Hi, I know this sounds bad, I must be missing something really easy
here. I can't seem to start my ethernet interface...

I have a Thinkpad T43
lspci shows:
  Broadcom NetXtreme BCM5751M Gigabit PCI Express card

I loaded the Tigon3 kernel module
dmesg shows:
   eth0: Tigon3... with a mac address

I have a simple setup in conf.d/net of just config_eth0= ( "dhcp" )
however, when I try to start it, I get the following error:

/etc/init.d/net.eth0 start, I get:
* Caching service dependencies ...                        [ ok ]
* Starting eth0
*   Bringing up eth0
*     dhcp
*       network interface eth0 does not exist
*       Please verify hardware or kernel module (driver)  [ !! ]

If I boot with a knoppix live CD, the Interface fires up fine, so I know
it is supported...

What am I missing?