From: Alex Howells <astinus@g.o>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Gentoo on Samsung Q45
Date: Tue, 16 Oct 2007 20:24:03
> > Typically speaking the LiveCD lags several versions behind the latest > > kernel so it's not a 100% indicator whether things will > > work. > > for example, opensuse's one was always current with the distro. the distro > was out less than 14 days ago and included a lot of new packages. that one i > pretty good in terms of drivers (has the 2.6.22r8 if i don't miss). > your affirmation is good to point out that if livecd works out then surely > the installed distro would surelly go well. > i was forgetting: for all the new processors it's possibile to run > paravirtualized windows on linux with xen. so you can run windows and linux > at the same time if you need to. also i would recommend installing linux on > a lvm2 (on the gentoo docs should be some instructions on how to do it).
However you may end up fighting with the fact xen-sources usually lags several major versions behind gentoo-sources; and also end up fighting with qemu-dm to get your hardware virtualized copy of Windows running. Last I checked HVM is also quite slow. Given all the options I've stuck with VMware for virtualizing MS Windows lately. Obviously not acceptable if you can't live with a binary blob though, although these days you can pick up VMware Server for free and it's perfectly functional. -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
AW: [gentoo-laptop] Gentoo on Samsung Q45 "Zimmerling