From: Benjamin Smee <strerror@g.o>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] hibernate on inspiron 8600
Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 13:47:31

On Thu, 2005-06-30 at 13:20 +0200, Benjamin Fritzsche wrote:
> I´ve got the same machine. S3 and S4 work here. forget swsusp2. it only makes > things complicated. use the swsusp which is already in the standard kernel.
swsusp2 is actually the best solution by some margin, about the only time you should use suspend to ram is for very quick / temporary suspends, as it still uses a significant amount of battery and will effect your long term battery life. Suspend to ram also doesn't work more often then not, and even when it does it is very unstable in many instances. I wrote a HOWTO on setting up suspend2 with lvm +dm-crypt, which while way more complicated then you would need for a normal setup contains some links that might be of use and gives a reasonable overview of the process. You can find it here: regards, Benjamin Smee -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list