From: "A.H." <gentoomailings_58932@×××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] USB 3.0 dock with linux support
Date: Fri, 14 Jun 2013 19:20:08
1 Hi everybody,
2
3 in a few days I want to buy a new laptop without a "real" docking port.
4 (Lenovo E330)
5
6 My question is:
7 Is there any external USB 3.0 dock which offers some USB, sound and
8 graphic ports (2x) with linux support on the market? I know some of
9 these docks (i.g., the Lenovo dock; see
10 http://blog.lenovo.com/products/dock-is-launched ), but all of them use
11 the same DisplayLink 3xxx chipset.
12
13 The problem is that there is no linux support for these chips (
14 http://displaylink.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1748 ) and as a result I
15 don't want to buy one of them.
16
17 Or is there any alternative to a USB dock? I will use my laptop at my
18 desk and I have to work with it when I'm not at home. I even thought
19 about installing Windows on it to use the DisplayLink drivers and put my
20 gentoo into a virtual machine running on top of it. But this should only
21 be the very last option...
22
23 Thank you in advance!
24