From: Matthias Bethke <matthias@×××××××.de>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Problems when more than one application uses sound
Date: Tue, 30 May 2006 23:24:22
1 Hi Jan,
2 on Sunday, 2006-05-28 at 19:03:22, you wrote:
3 > Maybe use 'arts' if you are using KDE or try to find out what 'esd' is
4 > when you are using gnome. I don't know if and how both can be used when
5 > you are not using one of those desktop environments..
6
7 AFAIK, both can. However, with one of the most frequent Alan Cox quotes
8 being that his "views on ESD are mostly unprintable", this doesn't sound
9 like a good idea :) Don't ask me why, I haven't used it, but I guess it
10 because of stuff like latencies and probably some CORBA mess.
11 I'd like to add JACK to the list, it's written especially for ALSA and
12 low-latency apps like music-production software. Also
13 desktop-independent.
14
15 cheers!
16 Matthias
17 --
18 I prefer encrypted and signed messages. KeyID: FAC37665
19 Fingerprint: 8C16 3F0A A6FC DF0D 19B0 8DEF 48D9 1700 FAC3 7665