From: Alan O'Keefe <alan@××××××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] ibm t42 inst
Date: Mon, 14 Aug 2006 09:28:07
1 Hi Gavin
2
3 I installed it using my wired network.
4
5 Another useful package to use is ifplugd, this allows you to
6 automatically activate the appropriate network if it is plugged
7 in/available.
8 This allows you to switch from Wired to Wireless without it doing silly
9 things like attempting to bring up an interface when it isn't connected,
10 causing all sorts of routing issues and booting delays.
11
12 Regards
13 Alan
16 Gavin Seddon wrote:
17 > All seems to hinge on "net-wireless/madwifi-ng". Here I meet a paradox,
18 > how do I inst with no network. I see 2 possibilities.
19 > Use a wired inst. at first.
20 > get the package on a floppy and inst. manually.
23 > Has anyone any other suggestions. BTW I came across Ubuntu working
24 > 'off-the-shelf', is there any mileage in installing with the live cd,
25 > then using Ubuntu files?
26 > Gavin.