From: Zander Z365 <zander365@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Abort network startup when cable not connected
Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 22:51:52
1 Thanks for your help Pete. I emerged ifplugd however it did not
2 create the ifplugd.conf file. Is this something I need to create
3 manually?
4
5 On 5/17/05, Peter Johanson <latexer@g.o> wrote:
6 > On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 06:12:09PM -0400, Zander Z365 wrote:
7 > > Hi,
8 > >
9 > > This is probably an easy one.
10 > > My laptop has two network connections: hardwired (default) and
11 > > wireless(starts manually). Both are working fine. However, when I
12 > > boot up my laptop without the NIC cable connected it takes a very long
13 > > time to boot. This is because the net.eth0 script keeps trying to
14 > > start networking. I have an older laptop with SuSe 9.2 and it does
15 > > not have this problem.
16 > >
17 > > How can I configure the startup script so that networking will not be
18 > > started if the cable is not connected?
19 >
20 > I'd suggest you look into using ifplugd to handle starting and stopping
21 > your network scripts. Basically, you add ifplugd to the run level, and
22 > not any of the network scripts. Then, ifplugd will start the net.ethX
23 > script when it detects a Layer 1 link existing. It's not perfect, but it
24 > works (most of the time).
25 >
26 > Other alternatives are trying to get NetworkManager working (requires
27 > the new "Gentopia" overlay as discussed on the -dev list). I've not
28 > personally tried this though.
29 >
30 > -pete
31 >