From: "Ângelo Miguel Arrifano" <miknix@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Add vista Hotstart Technology(TM) support on Gentoo.
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:18:21
1 On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:58:58 +0300
2 Vasiliy G Tolstov <v.tolstov@××××××.ru> wrote:
3
4 > Ângelo Miguel Arrifano wrote:
6 > > Hash: SHA1
7 > >
8 > > Hello everybody,
9 > >
10 > > With the introduction of windows Vista, most of "Vista ready" laptops
11 > > comes with Vista Hotstart(TM) technology support.
12 > >
13 > > You can read more about this:
14 > > http://www.vistabase.co.uk/kb/performance/what-is-windows-hotstart
15 > > http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/hotstart.mspx
16 > >
17 > > Since Microsoft is making a lot of propaganda about this feature on Vista and
18 > > I own a HP dv6535ep laptop that supports it, I wrote a Linux driver and opened
19 > > a SF.net project to support these devices under linux.
20 > > The project is here: http://quickstart.sourceforge.net
21 > >
22 > > With this driver and a simple init script its possible to launch applications
23 > > at boot time by pressing a hotkey while the laptop is either turned off
24 > > or in memory suspend.
25 > >
26 > > With this email I'm proposing getting the driver into portage and creating a
27 > > Gentoo doc for this matter. I think people using Gentoo on Hotstart supported
28 > > devices could potentially benefit of this feature. Plus, the kernel driver is
29 > > very simple and looks stable in the last months.
32 > I have dell inspiron 6400 with gentoo linux. Does my notebook support
33 > this tehnology ?
34 >
35 > --
36 > С уважением, Vasiliy G Tolstov
37 > http://www.selfip.ru
40 If you have your disassembled dsdt acpi table at hand, just grep it for PNP0C32. If
41 PNP0C32 is referenced then yes, it should support.
42
43 Anyway, you can always build the kernel module and load it. It won't harm your laptop
44 in case it's not supported.
45
46 Have a look at the project page for more information: http://quickstart.sourceforge.net
47