From: Jaroslav Sladek <jaroslav.sladek@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o, henri.magnin@××××.net
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Trying Gentoo linux on a new Asus M6 laptop
Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2004 22:26:23
On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 23:29:03 +0200, Henri Magnin <henri.magnin@××××.net> wrote:
> Hi > > I recently purchased an Asus M6 (Centrino 1.6GHz), and did not want to bother > anymore with the Windoze Family stuff. > > I wanted to install a modular Linux, which I could master and upgrade as I > like. > I earlier tried muliple other distributions (Aurox, Mandrake), but I did no > longer expect to have any "straightforward" or "magic" install which was too > tricky to update in future. > > I downloaded Gentoo 2004.2, started from stage3 (in a first trial), and > compiled a 2.6.7 kernel. > > All was Ok, I even compiled X11 and kde and ati_drivers, to try employ at > best my Radeon 9700 graphics card. > > My concern is about the CD-Rom on my own (very new) linux install. > When booting from the install boot CD-Rom, I have a /dev/cdroms/cdrom0 device. > > But in the /dev of my hard-disk install, there is no such entry. So when I > chroot to it, I can no more see the CD-Rom device.
You mean when you chroot to your harddisk after booting from CD? That's not a big deal, since gentoo uses devfs (or udev) which gets initialized during boot up sequence and actually creates all needed devices in /dev of your root filesystem. But if I misunderstood you and you're not seeing you CD rom device in /dev of your harddisk AFTER you booted your new kernel, then you probably forget something in kernel config. Most likely, you should have option "Include IDE/ATAPI CDROM support" checked under Device drivers->IDE/ATAPI/MFM/RLL support menu. Jaroslav Sladek -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-laptop] Trying Gentoo linux on a new Asus M6 laptop Henri Magnin <henri.magnin@××××.net>
Re: [gentoo-laptop] Trying Gentoo linux on a new Asus M6 laptop Michael Rutledge <michael4447@×××××.com>