From: Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] HP 6720
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 2008 13:15:27
2008/9/2 András Csányi <sayusi.ando@×××××.com>:
> 2008/9/2 Beso <givemesugarr@×××××.com>: >> 2008/9/2 András Csányi <sayusi.ando@×××××.com>: >>> Hi all! >>> >>> I want to buy a HP laptop (link bottom). >>> Anybody installed gentoo this type? Or where is available some >>> information (gentoo) linux vs. notebook? >>> >>> Thanks for the help! >>> >>> András >>> >>> >>> >>> -- >>> - - >>> -- Csanyi Andras -- -- Sayusi Ando >>> -- "Bízzál Istenben és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!".-- Cromwell >>> >> >> >> this pc will work at 100% of its functionality on any linux version >> available. everything, starting from the sata controllers to the video >> board, is supported by the linux kernel. you might have to install >> only the abn wireless intel drivers and you're done. >> you'll just need to follow the gentoo installation handbook and >> compile the right modules in the kernel and you'll have the notebook >> working perfectly. you might also want to try out the live ebuilds for >> the intel xorg drivers to have the most recent intel updates. this >> driver is the only one to support usermode xorg server and kernel >> modesetting. for this i'd advice you to try out first the fedora 9 >> version + updates; you might use it to compile the gentoo later from >> it - use alternative source installation: from another linux >> distribution so that you'll still have a linux distro working (about >> 30mins of installation time) while compiling gentoo. >> i'd also advise you to use the amd64 branch since it will take full >> advantage of this pc. > > Oohh! Great news! Thanks for your reply! > > András > > -- > - - > -- Csanyi Andras -- -- Sayusi Ando > -- "Bízzál Istenben és tartsd szárazon a puskaport!".-- Cromwell >
well, basically whatever computer has inside intel hw will work out of the box with any linux version. the problem might rise with sd readers and integrated cameras which still have some problems. stay away from anything that contains a broadcom wireless board (now it's not very good) or via/sis videoboards (still not very supported). everything else will work out of the box without much problems. the only condition is to stay tuned with the linux kernel if something doesn't work and with various forums and mailing lists like xorg-mailing list, the kde/gnome one and sites like phoronix which deliver a big deal of work about linux hw compatibility. -- dott. ing. beso

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-laptop] HP 6720 "Ângelo Miguel Arrifano" <miknix@×××××.com>