From: Eric Martin <freak4uxxx@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Palm sync with Gnome/Gentoo
Date: Fri, 28 Dec 2007 20:44:06
1 Rick Bragg wrote:
2 > On Wed, 2007-11-21 at 17:20 +0100, Matthias Bethke wrote:
3 >
4 >> Hi Aniruddha,
5 >> on Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 10:41:48AM +0100, you wrote:
6 >>
7 >>> I had the same problem. It turned out my hotsync cable was broke. Palm not
8 >>> showing up in lsusb is a bad sign.
9 >>>
10 >> It's a tricky thing to get to work, I know...
11 >>
12 >> The weird way the syncing works is that the device will only show up as
13 >> a serial device (ttyUSBx and x+1 usually, for some reason I don't really
14 >> understand it's actually two ports) for a few seconds after pressing the
15 >> sync button. Try "tail -f /var/log/messages" or whatever your catchall
16 >> syslog is while the cradle is plugged in, then press the button and see
17 >> if something shows up.
18 >>
19 >> I have the following in /etc/udev/rules.d/40-pilot.rules:
20 >> BUS=="usb", SYSFS{manufacturer}=="Handspring*", NAME="pilot%n", MODE="0660", GROUP="plugdev", SYMLINK+="%k"
21 >>
22 >> This works OK with my Visor and the Gnome pilot-conduits/gpilotd.
23 >>
24 >> HTH,
25 >> Matthias
29 > Thanks I finally got that all working great.
30 >
31 > I would also like to set up my palm treo 755p with my thinkpad as a usb
32 > modem. The account is set up with my provider, but my laptop does not
33 > see the modem. I would also still like to be able to switch between my
34 > ethernet interface, and wifi card (and select networks) in the easiest
35 > way possible.
36 >
37 > Does anybody have experience with all this? There seems to be many
38 > packages that deal with networking. ie. networkmanager, wifimanager,
39 > wifiradar, kwifimanager... Does anybody have any clear easy advice as
40 > to what packages to use, packages to NOT use, how to set configurations?
41 >
42 > Thanks again!
43 > Rick
46 Sprint's website has a howto on this (sorta). It goes through how to
47 get an aircard to work, but if you can get bluetooth setup between your
48 755 and laptop then you're all set. I can't remember where it is off
49 the top of my head, but look through some of the docs under linux for
50 the AirCards
51 hth
52 --
53 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list