From: Josh Hunholz <josh@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Mon, 30 May 2005 18:43:58
1 If you have FC3 up and running, why not just install Gentoo from that?
2 Make a new partition and copy the Gentoo tarball into it. Then chroot into
3 in and install! It's quite easy to do it that way. :)
4
5 --Josh Hunhol
6
7 > Sad Jack wrote:
8 >> Cliff Rowley wrote:
9 >>
10 >>>Sad Jack wrote:
11 >>>
12 >>>
13 >>>>Whenever I try and boot from the install CD (the same one used to
14 >>>>install on my desktop, the current universal 2005) installation hangs
15 >>>>after 'ok installing the kernel'. Nothing seems to happen, no disk
16 >>>>access (CD or Hard drive).
17 >>>>
18 >>>>I've tried other distros..Suse, Ubuntu, Puppy, the only one that gets
19 >>>> me
20 >>>>passed the above is Slackware 10.1 which goes through the complete
21 >>>>install but cannot write lilo to boot. Just says it can't write and
22 >>>> says
23 >>>>to do it manually.
24 >>>
25 >>>
26 >>>Is there some kind of boot or virus protection switched on in your BIOS?
27 >>> Perhaps something that prevents the boot loader from being
28 >>>overwritten? Although that doesn't explain the detection weirdness.
29 >>>
30 >>>Only thing I can think of, aside from some funky unsupported hardware.
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >>>>I get the feeling that its at the hardware detection stage that is the
34 >>>>problem as live CD's when booted in failsafe load and work OK. I can't
35 >>>>find a failsafe option to boot Gentoo, is there one?
36 >>>
37 >>>
38 >>>Hmm interesting. Maybe if you could boot Slackware 10.1 or boot the
39 >>>livecd's in failsafe and save your dmesg output it might provide some
40 >>>more insight (maybe).
41 >>>
42 >>>
43 >>
44 >> Thanks for the replies.
45 >>
46 >> some interesting suggestions there especially about the bios. Can't
47 >> check it just now as I'm mid way through installing Fedora Core 3 which
48 >> at least is installing the packages same as Slacware 10.1. Not got to
49 >> the stage where grub is written yet, so heres fingers crossed that at
50 >> least I will get some form of linux on this thing.
51 >>
52 >> I'll check out the bios as soon as it reboots
53 >>
54 >> Cheers
55 >
56 > OK
57 >
58 > FC 3 is loaded and running. Grub was installed and works fine.
59 >
60 > FC3 has not detected the graphics or the screen correctly and at the
61 > moment I am stuck with 800x600 resolution or lower.
62 >
63 > I would suggest at this stage its a hardware detection problem with the
64 > other distro and that FC3 is a little more accomodating!
65 >
66 > Its not my preferred install and I'll keep looking for a way to get
67 > gentoo so if there are any more suggestions, please keep them coming!
68 >
69 > By the way there is no settings in the bios that cause a problem with
70 > writing the bootloader.
71 >
72 > Thanks again
73 > --