From: Devon Miller <devon.c.miller@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o, gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] shopping for a laptop - tools to bring
Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 12:14:43
1 I am in the process of shopping for a new linux laptop.
2
3 I'm currently running on an HP Pavilion ze1000 with an upgraded disk.
4 It mostly works, but the VIA graphics chips means no compositing, no
5 beryl, and anything OpenGL is slow.
6
7 I'm looking to upgrade and while I'm aware of the vendors specializing
8 in Linux laptops. I also keep seeing some comparably equipped machines
9 at the local office super store for sub $1000 prices.
10
11 Does anyone know of a bootable CD intended for testing laptop (or
12 desktop) functionality?
13
14 I'm hoping someone out there has built something on top of Knoppix or
15 Gentoo's LiveCD that will examine the hardware and report what's good
16 and what's bad.
17
18 Anyone familiar with such a disc?
19