From: Jordi Molina <warp3r@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] yes to Intel PRO 2100, no to Madwifi
Date: Wed, 27 Apr 2005 23:01:40
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Hi Rob,
5
6 don't get me wrong, but atheros chipset can be more useful than intel.
7
8 I mean, it can look hardest to set up at the beginning but its entirely
9 hardware. I have ipw2100 on my laptop too, and i'm pretty happy with it:
10 it allows capturing packets and so on, it has a good range, but i won't
11 never use it as an AP chipset, why? because it uses system's cpu to to
12 make part of the job.
13
14 So:
15 - - For personal computer use it's ok with ipw2100
16 - - If you want to set up an AP with linux, use Atheros or Prism54, but
17 the second one is hardest to find. For Atheros I recommend you the Senao
18 cards, they can be powered up wo 200 mW :P
21 Well, I go to sleep, it's late here... 'night!
22
23 Jordi
24
25 Rob wrote:
26 > Hello guys,
27 >
28 > Well I have decided to concentrate my efforts on my internal mini-pci
29 > card, the Intel PRO2100 WiFi, instead of an external Atheros based
30 > Netgear card. Part of the decision was based on the fact that my Dell
31 > technician said that this card was superior in range to many cardbus
32 > based devices. I didn't know that the card even existed in my system
33 > until the tech came to my house. I thought I had declined it as an
34 > option when I bought the laptop. Haha. It works well in Windows- once
35 > I typed in the giant HEX key for WEP.
36 >
37 > So I am wading through the Gentoo procedures required to get it working.
38 > Fortunately there are ebuilds all set up for me. I will unmerge all
39 > the Madwifi stuff. I will wait for Madwifi to mature before I try it
40 > again. Retrieving distributions from CVS doesn't sound optimal for me.
41 > I'm not that much of a computer genious, LOL.
42 >
43 > One thing I want to do is to eliminate all of the configuration files
44 > that went along with the Madwifi driver and any associated tools. I
45 > think I saw in the emerge manual some ways to find out what those files
46 > were, or perhaps it was the Gentoo tools.
47 >
48 > Sincerely, Rob
51 - --
52 Jordi Molina Casas (warp3r)