From: Vasiliy G Tolstov <v.tolstov@××××××.ru>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Add vista Hotstart Technology(TM) support on Gentoo.
Date: Fri, 21 Dec 2007 13:42:30
1 Ângelo Miguel Arrifano wrote:
2 > On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 08:58:58 +0300
3 > Vasiliy G Tolstov <v.tolstov@××××××.ru> wrote:
6 >> Ângelo Miguel Arrifano wrote:
7 >>
9 >>> Hash: SHA1
10 >>>
11 >>> Hello everybody,
12 >>>
13 >>> With the introduction of windows Vista, most of "Vista ready" laptops
14 >>> comes with Vista Hotstart(TM) technology support.
15 >>>
16 >>> You can read more about this:
17 >>> http://www.vistabase.co.uk/kb/performance/what-is-windows-hotstart
18 >>> http://www.microsoft.com/whdc/system/platform/firmware/hotstart.mspx
19 >>>
20 >>> Since Microsoft is making a lot of propaganda about this feature on Vista and
21 >>> I own a HP dv6535ep laptop that supports it, I wrote a Linux driver and opened
22 >>> a SF.net project to support these devices under linux.
23 >>> The project is here: http://quickstart.sourceforge.net
24 >>>
25 >>> With this driver and a simple init script its possible to launch applications
26 >>> at boot time by pressing a hotkey while the laptop is either turned off
27 >>> or in memory suspend.
28 >>>
29 >>> With this email I'm proposing getting the driver into portage and creating a
30 >>> Gentoo doc for this matter. I think people using Gentoo on Hotstart supported
31 >>> devices could potentially benefit of this feature. Plus, the kernel driver is
32 >>> very simple and looks stable in the last months.
33 >>>
34 >>>
35 >> I have dell inspiron 6400 with gentoo linux. Does my notebook support
36 >> this tehnology ?
37 >>
38 >> --
39 >> С уважением, Vasiliy G Tolstov
40 >> http://www.selfip.ru
44 > If you have your disassembled dsdt acpi table at hand, just grep it for PNP0C32. If
45 > PNP0C32 is referenced then yes, it should support.
46 >
47 > Anyway, you can always build the kernel module and load it. It won't harm your laptop
48 > in case it's not supported.
49 >
50 > Have a look at the project page for more information: http://quickstart.sourceforge.net
51 >
52 > Thanks,
53 >
54 this is from my dsdt - is my notebook support this tehnology ?
57 Device (MBTN)
58 {
59 Name (_HID, "PNP0C32")
60 Name (_UID, 0x00)