From: Cliff Rowley <cliffrowley@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Install problems
Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 14:37:18
1 Sad Jack wrote:
2 > Whenever I try and boot from the install CD (the same one used to
3 > install on my desktop, the current universal 2005) installation hangs
4 > after 'ok installing the kernel'. Nothing seems to happen, no disk
5 > access (CD or Hard drive).
6 >
7 > I've tried other distros..Suse, Ubuntu, Puppy, the only one that gets me
8 > passed the above is Slackware 10.1 which goes through the complete
9 > install but cannot write lilo to boot. Just says it can't write and says
10 > to do it manually.
11
12 Is there some kind of boot or virus protection switched on in your BIOS?
13 Perhaps something that prevents the boot loader from being
14 overwritten? Although that doesn't explain the detection weirdness.
15
16 Only thing I can think of, aside from some funky unsupported hardware.
17
18 > I get the feeling that its at the hardware detection stage that is the
19 > problem as live CD's when booted in failsafe load and work OK. I can't
20 > find a failsafe option to boot Gentoo, is there one?
21
22 Hmm interesting. Maybe if you could boot Slackware 10.1 or boot the
23 livecd's in failsafe and save your dmesg output it might provide some
24 more insight (maybe).
28 No virus found in this outgoing message.
29 Checked by AVG Anti-Virus.
33 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list