From: Jon Schlueter <jon.schlueter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] Gentoo + T40?
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 13:21:50
1 I purchased a laptop cooling pad that I keep my laptop when I'm
2 compiling and it helps drop a couple of degrees off of the system
3
4 http://www.xoxide.com/evnopad.html
5
6 Jon Schlueter
9 On 5/3/05, Praveen C <cpraveen@×××××.com> wrote:
10 > > I'm still hitting 70-71 degrees when compiling, which is still a concern
11 > > - but to aid my paranoia, I've written a couple of scripts that enable
12 > > me to cut down the CPU speed to 1/3 or 2/3 of full power, which keeps me
13 > > at a more comfortable 45-50 or 55-60 degrees whilst compiling.
14 >
15 > This is supposed to be normal but I too am uncomfortable with that.
16 > Laptops are designed to operate at higher temperatures. My previous
17 > thinkpad R40e would run at around 72C at full load. My new iBook G4
18 > (1.2 GHz) runs at 58-60C at full load but that is because it has a
19 > very powerful fan. I have found that hard-disk heating is more of a
20 > problem since it causes lot of discomfort to your palm while working.
21 >
22 > --
23 > http://pc.freeshell.org
24 >