From: Rob <rob@×××××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-laptop] WLAN Problems- need solution
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 2005 15:20:57
1 Jordi Molina wrote:
2 > I'm not a guru setting up MadDriver, but at the physical layer I see
3 > that you have:
4 >
5 > Link Quality=16/94
8 > This is _very_ low, normally I won't expect success in data
9 > transmission with a quality below 50%.
10 >
11 > I also see that you are connected at 36 MBps, this can be due to the
12 > low quality in signal also.
15 > I recommend you disabling the WEP encryption until you set up the
16 > connection correctly, just to make things easier. Then you can also
17 > try to:
18 > - Fix the transmit rate in Atheros config file: try first to fix it to
19 > 11M and then check the link quality. Keep increasing it until you see
20 > that the quality decreases
21 > - If you're using dhcp ensure that you've obtained a valid ip from the server
22 >
23 > That's all :)
24 > Hope it helps you
27 > cheers
28
29 Hi Jordi,
30
31 I have confirmed that my laptop works with WiFi when WEP is disabled.
32 However, setting the transmit rate to 11mb/s didn't do anything.
33 It does appear though, that with WEP, the laptop hangs at the DHCP
34 stage, where it finally times out. I assume thats the first time the
35 WiFi system attempts to send or receive data.
36
37 I will try to get closer to the access point to see if it is just a
38 problem of signal levels. However, in Windoze, I have plenty of signal.
39
40 If all else fails I may try alternate means to get it running.
41
42 Thanks! Rob
45 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list