From: "Francisco Figueiredo Jr." <fxjrlists@×××××××××.br>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] How to turn off cpu fan when I turn on my laptop?
Date: Tue, 02 Nov 2004 15:07:46
Hi all,

I'm facing a little issue with my laptop and cpu fan.

When I turn my laptop on, even if the temperature is, for example 35
Celsius, kernel still keeps the cpu fan on. I'd like to know how I could
turn it off manually.

Why this?

Because, as now I got my speedstep working :), my cpu freq keeps down to
1.6G and the cpu doesn't get hot so much, so, if I'm using battery, or
I'm in an quiet ambient, the cpu fan will be on for a long time...

Kernel only turns off my cpu fan after the temperature passes the 48C
and come back to 42, 43. And turns it on again when it reaches the 51C.

When I reach this level, it is ok. Kernel works as expected turning the
fan on and off. The problem is before reaching this level, the fan
doesn't turn off.

I'd like to know if there is something I could do to tell kernel to turn
off my fan if temperature is below 42C for example, even after a fresh
boot, when temperature starts with 35C.

Thanks in advance.

Francisco Figueiredo Jr.