From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Fwd: Re: Wich kernel to use for a laptop.
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:38:38
----------  Forwarded Message from Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <"Boyd Stephen Smith
Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>>:  ----------

Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wich kernel to use for a laptop.
Date: Sunday 21 November 2004 12:20 am
From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o

On Saturday 20 November 2004 10:43 pm, Random <Random <cja2@××××××.es>> wrote:
> My question is: is there a kernel patchset designed for laptop users, or > is there one that works specially fine with them?
Ever since I installed gentoo on my laptop I've been running gentoo-dev-sources, without any additional patches. I did try out mm-sources, so I could get reiser4 support, but resizing reiser4 filesystems is not implemented (at ALL) which is a game breaker for me. [I use LVM to only grow my filesystems as they need it.]
> Please answer, if you use gentoo with a laptop tell me about your > experiences.
I did, and I guess still do, have issues with my laptop overheating because gentoo/linux wasn't smart enough to automatically drop the voltage/speed of my processor. [During initial emerging I would routinely used Ctrl-Z to suspend the emerge and the the procesor cool off.] Part of the problem could be my gateway laptop. Gateway is known for writing the bios-level ACPI information in a format that only MS compilers/kernels will understand. With the right kernel options, I was about to manually monitor my heat and manually change the speed/voltage of the processor via /proc/acpi. Rather than fix my BIOS and/or install more sophisticated tools, I wrote a little bash script to check my heat every few seconds and adjust the processor. I added it to /etc/conf.d/* and am still using it, months later. -- Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.com> ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy -- gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list

Subject Author
Re: [gentoo-laptop] Fwd: Re: Wich kernel to use for a laptop. Andrew Horowitz <baal.killer@×××××.com>