From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-laptop@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-laptop] Fwd: Re: Wich kernel to use for a laptop.
Date: Mon, 22 Nov 2004 04:38:38
1 ---------- Forwarded Message from Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <"Boyd Stephen Smith
2 Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>>: ----------
3
4 Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Wich kernel to use for a laptop.
5 Date: Sunday 21 November 2004 12:20 am
6 From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.com>
7 To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
8
9 On Saturday 20 November 2004 10:43 pm, Random <Random <cja2@××××××.es>> wrote:
10 > My question is: is there a kernel patchset designed for laptop users, or
11 > is there one that works specially fine with them?
12
13 Ever since I installed gentoo on my laptop I've been running
14 gentoo-dev-sources, without any additional patches. I did try out
15 mm-sources, so I could get reiser4 support, but resizing reiser4 filesystems
16 is not implemented (at ALL) which is a game breaker for me. [I use LVM to
17 only grow my filesystems as they need it.]
18
19 > Please answer, if you use gentoo with a laptop tell me about your
20 > experiences.
21
22 I did, and I guess still do, have issues with my laptop overheating because
23 gentoo/linux wasn't smart enough to automatically drop the voltage/speed of
24 my processor. [During initial emerging I would routinely used Ctrl-Z to
25 suspend the emerge and the the procesor cool off.]
26
27 Part of the problem could be my gateway laptop. Gateway is known for writing
28 the bios-level ACPI information in a format that only MS compilers/kernels
29 will understand. With the right kernel options, I was about to manually
30 monitor my heat and manually change the speed/voltage of the processor
31 via /proc/acpi.
32
33 Rather than fix my BIOS and/or install more sophisticated tools, I wrote a
34 little bash script to check my heat every few seconds and adjust the
35 processor. I added it to /etc/conf.d/local.st* and am still using it, months
36 later.
39 Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. <bss03@××××××××××.com>
40 ICQ: 514984 YM/AIM: DaTwinkDaddy
43 gentoo-laptop@g.o mailing list